
Today was one of those rare great days when things just seemed right and I was so confident in myself. After the breaking down crying incident at Food Emporium this morning, I got home to put my whole grain - yes, I went for the healthy stuff - waffles in the freezer, and checked my email to read the wonderful message this wonderful lady from last week at the ER sent to the president of Beth Israel. After this, I had a very sudden thought to check the status of my submitted manuscript. This is the paper I have written - well, mostly, but it no longer really resembles what I had written as it was mostly edited out by my wonderful advisor - and describes the results of the project I have been working on for the past 3 year. I originally sent it out for publication back in May, but then it came back for revisions, and was just re-submitted to the same journal 2 weeks ago. I wasn't expecting to hear back about it until after Labor Day, since many people are still on vacation at this time. However, I had this feeling this morning when I got home. So I went online and checked: it said "Under Review", which is the status it has been at for 2 weeks now. A little disappointing but at least it wasn't rejected.
Some 2 hours later, it happened! My paper got accepted! I wasn't even surprised when I saw the email from my advisor. I somehow knew today was going to be the day. I have no idea how - and I do not believe in 6th senses and supernatural intuitions - but there was some weird positive energy I felt all day and I knew that something good was going to happen. On a side-note, I was hoping maybe I would meet the love of my life today too, but that's for another post. And no, that did not happen and now it's past 1 am, so no hope :(
So back to this positive energy. Of course, as soon as I saw the email, even though I wasn't so surprised, I got super excited, screamed, hugged all the people nearby and texted a bunch more, posted it on Facebook and told my Mom. My - and everyone else's on the floor - first thought was to go out for some drinks. Then I realized that it was Wednesday and I had a shift at the ER in the evening, and that I didn't actually want to end this day with being tipsy and not completely in control and aware of the events of the day. Instead, I decided to take all the experiences in and process them at yoga class. Try to stop the crazy chatter in my head and create some space for these new experiences so I can store them somehow and maybe be able to reach for them when in need later, on a day not as great as today. My mantra for the class was "open". As in keeping an open mind for new things: experiences, people, places, things. Open space inside so that these new things have somewhere to go. I am not sure it this is making much sense. It just seems to me that when we are so preoccupied by our daily worries and anxieties, we are unable to take in and process new things. That's how it is for me, at least. I worry, I obsess, and I can't see past my nose because of that. Not today.
Yoga was very clarifying, as usual. Body and mind. I was re-energized afterwards. I headed down to Beth Israel for a couple of hours and it was a great shift tonight! I must have had still had this positive energy with me. People spoke to me in the elevators, they commented on me being a volunteer and how great that was and even one of the cleaning crew thanked me for doing it. Not only that, but two doctors - and doctors almost never take the time to chat with anyone - came to talk to me and asked my name and were super nice. I am convinced I had some sort of aura surrounding me today.
When my shift was over, at midnight, I still had so much energy; and today was a pretty long day too. I had just missed the bus and I hate waiting, especially at that hour, when buses run so infrequently. I just started walking. 50 blocks really seemed like a piece of cake. A couple of buses passed me on my way, but I never even considered getting on one. Just walked straight home. Didn't even notice time passing. Great feeling.
Also, love my new Crocs, most comfortable shoes ever, never wearing anything else to volunteer! And they make me feel almost like a doctor, they all wear them too :)
2 comments:
Lehet ennél szebb az élet? A sok rossz napért ezek kárpótolnak. Legyen belőlük sok-sok!
i guess i havent been on facebook enough to see your post about your paper. CONGRATULATIONS!!! I am so happy for you julie! we must go to the beer garden again to celebrate before it gets too cold. this time i will actually get to eat and drink :)
Post a Comment