One such moment occurred more than 10 years ago when I was just a naive 16 year old child, getting ready for the adventure of my life: moving halfway around the world to a small town in Kansas and being away from my family for the first time. One day shortly before my trip, I was walking home with my Mom and I clearly remember the exact spot in front of our building where we were talking about my future and I told her - like only a naive 16-year old grown up on Hollywood fairy tails can say - that soon enough I would surely meet a nice American man and settle down and my whole life will be set. Done. Hah! How glad I am that didn't happen! How naive I was! But, to this day, I clearly remember this moment and often think about just how wrong I had been and how much I have learned since and how happy I am that I have had all those experiences and that I would never do it over any differently.
Another moment strongly etched in my memory: about a year ago, on the 6 train, standing next to me was a man with an NYU Medical ID, around his neck a NYC Marathon Medical Volunteer ID card. Volunteering at the marathon I could not run because of my fractured foot and it broke my heart in that moment. I thought maybe I could still run - my foot had already healed by then mostly - except for the fact that I had already canceled my entry by then. I think I might have silently cried a little that day in the 6 train. I just thought, well, in a year, in a year, I will be there in a year. Of course, then, a year seemed like forever. But now, a year later, just a week and a half until the marathon and I have never felt more ready - knock on wood!
And so is the city: "Marathon Course" signs are up along 1st Ave and on the East Drive in Central Park, where I went running this morning - I got a little emotional running under those signs. But here are some signs along 1st Ave I saw on my way home tonight.


1 comment:
Now that's inspiration! I'm an actor, that absorbs environment, past events, in intricate detail as possible to furnish an acting role with fullness and realism. Which i use constantly, moreso with past events to inspire and motivate. I will be starting a workout program on Monday, with walking up to running...i can, in a year, i can do it in a year. I identify with ya there. Love the blog btw.
Post a Comment