Monday, March 14, 2011

Lessons to learn

... or not.

Just another Monday in lab:

At lunch-time, a bunch of us are in the break-room, it's George's birthday today. Janice asks him if he's doing anything special.
"First thing, I have to stop fighting with my wife." He says that for the past couple of days, they've both been talking to their 9 months old daughter, "Tell your Mom this and that..." "Tell him that I don't want to do this and that...", poor baby wondering what her parents are up to. I say half jokingly "George, don't teach your daughter things like that." He answers, also half jokingly: "Don't ever get married." I tell him I am not planning to.

5 minutes later, I am talking to Janice by her bench, asking if we have any plans for happy hour on Friday, it's our turn to host. She says, as if surprised by my inquiry "But it's only Monday!" To which, Aruni, who's 7 months pregnant interjects "It's never too early to think about happy hour. Ahh, last night I had a half a glass of really cheap wine, and it was soooo good!" I turn to Janice: "See, what they are trying to teach us, never get married, never get pregnant..." to which she jokes "We just play with other people's kids..." and I add "...and with other people's husbands?"

No comments: