Yeah, I am a skeptic. Things that sound too good to be true usually aren't true. Sometimes I could maybe use a little more belief I admit though.
90-year old very talkative man at the ER tonight, called me over to chat, well, thinking I was the other volunteer, first he told me I am also attractive - I think it's cute when old men do that, in a non-creepy way - but older (the other volunteer I usually work with just graduated from college), he says, oh not by much, but a few years, I can tell. It's true, I was impressed right away, he was very sharp. He didn't have a whole lot of clothes on, I was wondering the whole time whether I should put a blanket over him, but instead, just decided to listen. He told me about a tree whose bark will cure all cancers and a backpack that will once make people fly. I was a little skeptical, but he swore he read about all of this and it's been proven. He mentioned my skepticism and said it could be useful in some situations. Then he told me about himself: he's a composer, music scholar, orchestras around the US play his symphonies. I was smiling and nodding, being a little skeptical, although i had the feeling he is with it completely. He could tell and at the end, as I was about to leave, he said in a playful voice: I bet you don't believe a word I said.
So I checked his name tag and voila, he's a famous composer and his works have been played all over the country, including Carnegie Hall and Lincoln Center. I gotta trust people a little more sometimes.
2 comments:
I'm a fellow skeptic, and who could blame you? Living in NYC, with today's society, yeah, it is easy and smart to be skeptical. To trust and believe is to take a leap of faith, no matter how small it seems. Most people can't afford to expose themselves towards a leap of faith, especially when times are tough. Trust more, believe more, but use that higher sense of awareness you posses, flip the bs detector, and maybe you will find blessings in disguise like the composer. I don't trust, believe, or even care most times in order to safeguard myself, sure it's lonely, frustrating, but it's easier to see the bs and deceptive when it's simple.
Use that awareness you had with the composer each day, hone it and it you will benefit.
Being skeptic and thorough at the same time is an excellent combination as it proves :)
Post a Comment