Have you noticed how Obama is campaigning for the women's vote? I am sure his commencement speech at Barnard College (women's college affiliated with Columbia) was no coincidence. Political campaign or not, he gives damn inspirational speeches! On a side-note, he was the commencement speaker at my college the year after I graduated (2 years before he was elected president), we got stuck with John McCain, who gave a terrible and not at all inspirational speech.
He says this will be the century for women! I could not agree more. I like his three advices: get involved, take a seat at the head of the table; be an example, be a mentor; and persevere, nothing worthwhile is easy! Three pretty damn good mantras to live by. Men or women.
And here's another piece of campaign (I am not denying that I like the name they chose for their fictional average American woman):
http://www.barackobama.com/life-of-julia
Wait! Something is missing from Obama's Julia's timeline: she does not get married! Maybe it doesn't seem like a bid deal, but in fact, in this country, I think it's a pretty big deal. Maybe we are heading towards a time when for women to remain single and raise children on their own will no longer be looked at as a less than ideal situation but as a choice.
Michelle's advice: You can be stylish and powerful at the same time.
No comments:
Post a Comment