Monday, November 19, 2012

Back in my old neighborhood

It's funny how life plays tricks on us sometimes. Here I am, for the third time in the past week, studying at the Cornell medical library. This is where I first studied for Immunology exams during first year of graduate school; this is where I spent time writing my qualifying exam during second year; this is where I often studied for the MCATs just a few years ago; this is where I came to do Organic Chemistry problem sets the summer before I applied to medical school. Then I thought I had gotten away for good. I was all set to move to the Bronx, pretty far away (well, everything is relative, right?). A last minute decision kept me on the East side of Manhattan, just 40 blocks south of Cornell. Then a freakish hurricane flooded my school and practically destroyed its library. I am so sad about that. I love libraries. All the books, the smell, people studying, reading, relaxing; maybe I am weird, but I like just spending time in libraries.

After the storm, all of the three other med schools in Manhattan opened their libraries to poor displaced NYU students. So I have been riding my bike or taking the train up here every once in a while. So many familiar faces, nostalgic memories. So many times before, I used to look at the medical students in this library with a certain amount of envy. Now I am here once again, now one of them (well, almost). Ok, now on to learn all the pathogenic worms that live in people, eeeew!

2 comments:

Mum said...

A library is not a luxury but one of the necessities of life.
I found this quotation from Henry Ward Beecher and I liked it.
Thank Cornell Library for the help.

Mum said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.