Monday, April 15, 2013

Terror

It's sad that it took today's events to get me to sit down and write again.

I talked to a friend today with whom I ran the 2010 NYC Marathon and she said that as a runner and as someone who had participated in a marathon before, she felt like she was being attacked. I feel the same way today. I may not have been in Boston, I may not have ever run the marathon there, but as a marathon runner, as an athlete, as a person, I feel like I have been attacked.

For me and I am sure for many others, running is a safe place. It's where I go when I am sad, stressed, happy, tired or just need to gather some thoughts. Marathons are celebrations of all of that. Of the time and energy people devote to their passion, of the strength and perseverance of a person who can push him or herself to the limits. Crossing the finish line three times now has been the most joyous and emotional place I have been in my entire life.

Today, the world is a little darker, a little sadder. For many people, that joy was never felt. It was tears and terror instead. Senseless terror, which is always is. But this one hit too close to home. We have to try to go on because we cannot let terrorists to change the way we live; that would mean giving in. Running is a safe place for me. It will still be a safe place. Nobody can take that away from me.

1 comment:

Mum said...

It began in Munich during the Olimpic Games in 1972, when coward palestin terrorist of Black September killed 11 members of the Israeli Olimpic Team.
Since that several times occured aggression against sportsmen.

The Marathon race is the top performance of all sports, and it is the festival of youth and endurance. Disturbing this fiesta and chiefly kill people is the most desperate matter I can ever think. I am very depressed.