My breakfast this morning, well, maybe it's considered brunch already, I ate it around 1pm. Omelette with onion, green peppers and tomatoes, slightly burned but delicious with a whole wheat waffle covered in real maple syrup, yummmmmy!!! After a 13 mile run, I thought I should eat something hearty. I've gotten pretty good at making omelettes lately as I have been getting into the habit of having one almost every morning, great start to the day! As for this morning, it was a perfect day for a long run: cloudy, sprinkling rain, cool and breezy - had to put on a long sleeve as soon as I stopped. 2 loops in the park, mostly on the pavement and felt great. Didn't run slowly either. And now I can say I am in shape. I know because after that and a hard yoga class this evening and walking another few miles after that, my legs are not even tired. Wohooo!
The 18 mile tune-up race is a week from today so I should take it easy this week - just a couple of easy runs. I am a little nervous about these 18 miles though. Last time I did something that long was the 2009 Miami marathon and an 18 mile run 3 weeks before that. That's it, only twice my whole life. Depending on how I feel after that, I might schedule another longer run closer to the big day, or I might declare victory - that is, if everything goes well, but I feel awful afterwords. We'll see. But for now, it feels great to feel so great :)
Something else to feel great about: yesterday's semifinal match between Novak Djokovic and Roger Federer. Holy shit!! Best tennis I have ever seen! What a true great fight! Djokovic deserved to win, but kudos to both for making it such an exciting day! The spectators loved every minute of it. It's sad that this year's open is coming to an end, it's really one of my favorite things to do here in NYC, always look forward to it every year. Well, just have to wait another year now :)
On a completely unrelated subject: I have been working on a brand new project in the lab - according to my mentor, I need to show that I am a hard worker during this year, working on this new project, cuz he doesn't think that hard work is what's gotten me to this point now. Meh. Don't care much what he thinks anymore. But, I am now working on a new cell type, called T cells. They are in a whole different class of cells from macrophages. The project is still related to what I was doing before, but I have moved in to a completely new system with new techniques, reagents, protocols, everything new. It's scary, but exciting. Fortunately, I have been getting a lot of help from Rachel, who is an expert on T cells and doesn't mind the daily several phone calls or Gchat's it takes me to figure out what exactly to do. That's what happened again tonight, when I got home around 10 and for some reason was thinking about my experiment tomorrow - not something I usually think about on a Sunday night at 10. I realized that I had forgotten to set something up that needs to be prepared the day before and tomorrow I have a long long day so it really needs to be ready in the morning. I quickly called Rachel to get the details and ran into the lab to set everything up. I didn't even mind at all. Weird. I think this change has really helped me to get a little excited about lab work and science again, at least for a little while until this gets old too. But hopefully that won't be till I graduate!
Anyway, focusing on the positives and life is good!
If you don't like something change it; if you can't change it, change the way you think about it. ~Mary Engelbreit
No comments:
Post a Comment