Sunday, April 17, 2011

A few good weeks

It's been a while. Life has gotten in the way of blog updating. But I am back now.

I am trying to recap the past few weeks in my head, it's hard. Let's see, it was only 2 weeks ago to the day that I ran a new PR (personal record, 1:51:51) on a half marathon, namely, the Fitness/More Magazine Half Marathon, which is a women only half in Central Park. It was a perfect day: chilly but ideal for running, not a cloud in the sky, my best friend visiting from home, her first time in NYC, in the US, and the first thing she got to experience was the atmosphere of a running race with 7500 runners and plenty of spectators, on a perfect New York day! Ahhh, I was on a high all day that Sunday, as we spent hours walking around South Manhattan, taking the Staten Island ferry, and by the end of the day, I felt like I could just lie down on the sidewalk and sleep there all night - that sweet feeling of exhaustion from running 21 km's and walking maybe that much in a day. Luckily we made it home :)


Fitness Magazine Half marathon


Szidi in NYC


I don't have a whole lot to say about the days that followed. Let me just say that in the end, I passed my defense, which was not at all pleasant but now is over and I am trying to put it behind. The party that followed was a success and much fun, thanks to my wonderful coworkers and friends. Let me just point out THE CAKE!!! By Janice, naturally. A masterpiece I call "A walk in the park", a 3-tiered cake (green tea and white chocolate) with a path going up around it and landmarks of my life written on little pieces of paper along the way - of course, I got to read them all out loud, not at all embarrassing!! There was of course much champagne and all kinds of presents - most notably, a rather substantial amount of money collected from the floor in the lab put on to an American Airlines gift card, so I can go home! I don't know how I deserved to have such amazing people I get to work with!

They gave me a PhD


Needless to say, the next week or so, I didn't do much work. Szidi and I spent a lot of time touring the city, lots of fun touristy and not so touristy things. I think she got to have a nice overview of the good, the bad, the pretty and the ugly that is all NYC at the same time. We did a lot of fun party-type things and laid-back staying in kind of things. There aren't too many people in this world I can spend 2 weeks with - almost night and day - and not only not want to kill her by the end, but wish that she could stay another 2 weeks at least! We were inseparable as teenagers and then didn't see much of each other for almost 11 years - except for my visits home - and now, after all these years, we just picked up where we left off at 17. Soul-mates, I suppose, are meant to be that way. And here are many pictures we took, which are worth at least a thousand words.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'm mind-blown and speechless!!! SUPERB. omfg, knew you were already exceptional..now...extensively beautiful and truely exceptional!!! Oh, and the pics were fabulous too.

Szidi said...

Dear Juli!

Thank you everything again and this post too. This 2 weeks were something like perfect, but in a real way.
I miss you much.
Lots of hugs to you