Monday, May 2, 2011

Monsters

Right as I got home last night, the news started leaking on the internet. I turned on the TV, I was curious. I waited for the President's speech, listened to it probably more carefully than I had ever before. Then I watched the reaction of the people around this country. And I felt disgusted, disturbed, sad, very sad. No question, the world is a better place without monsters like that, but what are the people who rejoice in in the death of a person, no matter what a monster he was? Are we any different from the people who celebrated on the streets on 9/11?

As soon as the speech was over, the correspondents were talking about possible retaliations and heightened security across the country. It will never end. And yet, so many people were talking about "closure" in relation with this murder. How can something like this give closure? It entices fear, hatred, resentment and a never ending cycle or more and more violence.

" Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." — Martin Luther King Jr

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I honestly wish i could comment, and find myself stepping back. There is no point, there's only opinion and an internet connection. Debate will rage on and on. My emotions and opinions do not and will not matter to anyone but myself, and that's where i'm left to find peace.