Saturday, June 11, 2011

5 years

Today is a sort of anniversary. 5 years ago, I ran my very first running race. It was the 2006 NYRR Women's Mini Marathon. It was the end of my 1st year in grad school, I was still fencing on and off occasionally, but I wasn't really exercising very much and I was getting a little depressed about that. It was spring-time, my first one in New York, and I somehow got this idea to sign up for the race. Back then, these races weren't so popular, and I could just decide the day before the registration closed to do it. My roommate at the time was somewhat of a runner, so I talked her into doing the race together and we went out on an early June morning to Central Park together and I finished my first race ever - a 10K - in just about under an hour. I kept my race bib, as a reminder of how far I had come since that day and I had it taped on my desk at my old place (I recently trashed it b/c it got pretty gross over the years).

As they say, the rest is history. Soon, I was running regularly, signing up for more and more races. In 2008, I first got the idea to do a marathon. I finished my first half that spring in Brooklyn, in about 2 hours and 5 minutes. I also started "collecting" my races to qualify for the NYC Marathon the next year. With the exception of one year when I had food poisoning on that particular day, I ran the Mini every year. Last year, I PR'd at 52:35 and was very happy with that. Since last year though, especially since the marathon in November, I felt that I have been getting faster. I think I jumped over some invisible hurdle and now my body knows exactly how to run. What I mean by that is hard to explain. Before, I thought too much about running: I would decide how to run a race. Start slow, try to maintain my pace, try to finish strong. However, I think I didn't have quite enough experience yet to really "feel" it rather than think about it. Even at last year's marathon, I think I started out a little too slowly. For a marathon, the problem is, no matter how slowly you start off, after 3+ hours, you get so exhausted that it might actually work better to start at a faster comfortable pace and try to maintain that so that when the exhaustion hits in, there aren't 2 more hours to go.

So today, I just went out at a pace that felt good. I wasn't intentionally slowing myself down or pushing too much. It just felt right. Which is rather surprising, given that just 2 hours earlier, I woke up with a pretty significant hangover, thanks to happy hour in the lab last night. Thankfully I had the good sense to eat a big omelette and drink several cups of gatorade before going to bed, but still, I had quite a few glasses of wine. More gatorade, coffee, bagel, a shower, and my morning was looking a bit brighter but still, I had no clue how I was going to run 10 kms. Not only was I hungover, but I hadn't been running very regularly in the past few weeks. Busy with graduation, parents visiting, moving, taking a college class (long story), transitioning into life as a postdoc have taken their toll on my running. Despite this, and the 96% humidity in the park, when I crossed the starting line with 4750 other women this morning, I felt great. My legs just kept taking me forward and after just 50 minutes and 38 seconds, I crossed the finish line and could not have been happier (ok, maybe if I broke 50 minutes, I would have been even happier, but given the circumstances, I totally beat myself today). Not bad for a 5th anniversary. Hopefully many more years and races to come, with many more PR's.

3 comments:

Mum said...

Gratulálok, büszke vagyok rád! Hamarosan az 50 perc is menni fog!

Unknown said...

(applause!)
oh, and you are and have been an inspiration.

Daniel said...

Congrats on the great time - and I can confirm, you are getting faster and you indeed are looking better and better on the road lately. Experience and confidence make you look graceful :)