I almost just wrote a whole post complaining. After two paragraphs, I deleted it all. I have not had the best of weeks, but it's just a week among the many that have already passed and that will come in the future.
Some setbacks - again - in the med school application process, a few weeks of delay, annoying but not the end of the world. I got way too frustrated with the system yesterday, spending much of the day on the phone with people who don't do their jobs correctly, trying to fix a trivial problem. By the time it was fixed, it was too late to do anything on my end, it was after hours and apparently, summer hours mean that the offices are closed on Fridays. Arghh! After the paralyzing realization that it was all out of my control, I was able to calm myself enough to drag some coworkers out for a beer (or in my case, 3), after which I felt much more relaxed. This morning, it was hard to get out of bed and get going, but once I was on the road, I realized this: delays, while annoying when you have worked hard to turn things in early, are somewhat of a relief when you realize that it means you have a few extra weeks to get everything else sorted out. While this part of my application is still pending, I have time to get all the supplemental parts figured out and hopefully, by the time I am finished with all that, the processing will also be done.
Today: hungover, hot and humid, new shoes giving me blisters, 50 screaming children on the subway, Au bon pain out of my favorite broccoli cheddar soup at lunch, ugh, what else? So I wondered around the hospital, trying to figure out what to eat. Cafeteria? Go back out into the heat? What to do? Roaming the hallways, I saw a familiar face: my Hungarian friend I met at a coffee shop some months ago now. We hadn't spoken in a while. We said hi, happy to see each other, happy at the chance to catch up. He was also wondering what to eat. So we went back to that same coffee shop, and he treated me for lunch. We even had dessert! And great conversation. So much better.
I am still glad it's Friday night and this week is almost over!
1 comment:
Why is it that the short(er) workweeks are always the most annoying? (loong, frustrating, and a continual personal test of willpower?? On my knees thanking the heavens that it's the weekend!! (even though i'm at work today) You are doing a fantastic job with what you've had to endure, keep up the brilliance, battle with a wicked grin, and know you are spectacular!!
Post a Comment