Saturday, February 25, 2012

What you shouldn't do on a first date

Religion should not be brought up on a first date. To me, religion should not be brought up at all, but we do live in America and it's hard to avoid it. But a first conversation with someone? Ugh. And ok ok, it's Lent, I get it, if you're not going to eat meat at a restaurant that has the best steak, maybe you do need to say something! But, I don't think I've ever been told before - after telling the person that I was not at all religious and in fact did not believe in god - that knowing right from wrong comes from a religious education and doing the right thing comes from a fear of god and hell. Coming from an educated, otherwise very nice, polite and just a bit of a tight-ass. What great moral values! I sounded as offended as I could and went into a long tirade about knowing right from wrong without a fear of god.

This is still not as bad as my first date with the guy who confessed that he used to be gay but then found god who showed him the right path, but yeah, what the fuck???

1 comment:

kate said...

definite first date fail! The good news is you probably dodged a bullet there..best to find this out about a person early on..