
Tonight there was a full moon. I looked up at the sky from Union Square and I made a mental note of it: there was just one full moon. Which is important; in some strange worlds, there might be two moons. You never know. Crazy things happen at full moon.
As I walked into the ER for my shift, there was some sort of commotion: not a strange thing. There was a man standing in the middle of the hallway with no pants on. Again, not uncommon. It must be some primal instinct: when people are very drunk or high, one of the most common things they first do as they get to the ER is start taking their clothes off. So there is this guy with no pants on. Then, as I am watching, he reaches down his underpants, takes out something (you have 3 guesses!) and throws it on the ground not far from me. Yup, shit. Nurses are screaming, calling security, they grab the guy, he's laughing; it must be hilarious throwing your own feces around when you're wasted. One nurse says "I wish I could grab it and throw it in his face, let's see how he laughs then!", another just notes "It's full moon today". A minute later, he's tied to a bed, no pants, no underwear, not a pretty sight.
I was thinking, when you're a doctor, a nurse, a person at the ER, you really see people at their very worst. When they are vulnerable, weak, frightened, embarrassed, or just stupid. The very worst of the human condition. Kind of depressing. To me, it's kind of fascinating. Maybe doctors are a strange bunch; are they the kind of people who are fascinated by this condition? What happens to people when they are pushed to some extreme? Some are extremely graceful, while some throw their own shit around. Maybe it's the full moon, maybe it's just people.
1 comment:
Ha mindezt zokszó nélkül bírod és még inspirálónak is találod, akkor neked tényleg orvosnak kell állnod!
Post a Comment