Yesterday, while trying to study, I had the live feed from the presidential inaguration on in the background. I really liked Obama's speech; I thought it was courageous; I loved how talked about equality and education and gay rights, about the opportunities for people who have dreams. It made me think about the last time he was inagurated 4 years ago. I was still a grad student at the time, and we didn't have a day off then. I was working in the lab at HSS and we got an email that morning from the hospital administration, letting us know that they would be showing the event live in one of the large conference rooms in the hospital. By the time I got there, there was standing room only; there were so many people there; black and white, doctors, nurses and janitors. People cried (including myself), people cheered, people applauded. It remember feeling proud living in a country where this was happening. Since that day, I have been very fortunate in so many ways. Perhaps most importantly, I now have a green card. (I do have to mention that one of the issues Obama pointed to in his speech yesterday had to do with skilled immigrants, which is only a little ironic given that I won my green card in a lottery after having spent 10 years in the US and in a PhD program.) In a few years, I will be proud to become a citizen, even though I admit that this country could and should be so much more successful, such a better place to live, it has such great potential, which it has not reached yet. Like Obama said "While these truths may be self-evident, they have never been self-executed." But more than anything, what's so amazing is that I've been given all of these amazing opportunities, which allowed me to live out my dreams to their fullest potentials. More than anytime before now, 4 years after I cried in that conference room at HSS, I am exactly where I want to be, I am doing exactly what I want to do, now, if only someone could reduce my student loans, pretty please!!!!
Here is a clip I love, from an HBO show called Newsroom. It's a bit lengthy, but it's worth to watch. America could easily be the greatest country in the world.
3 comments:
I struggled so long with your text, but even more with the video attached to your blog text, I wanted to understand it because the issue in it is so much interesting nowadays.
Is America the greatest country in the world? Is it so important question? Or not?
Today it is very stylish to declare that America isn’t the first country. But who is? Please name the country the greatest in the world. It is not easy.
In the video – if I unrerstood properly – America lost its primacy mostly because of the poverty unsolved in the country. Do you know another one could have solved this trouble? Even so I think America as a very rich country could do much more for poor people.
The speaker in the video recites economic, innovation, cultural and education data, which show the primacy in thees areas. But the greatness of America is to belive in its ability to solve big troubles. And in this respect America is the most successful country in the world.
While many coutries struggle with the most devastating probleme – the spread of racism --,
America got solution to racism question. America has black second term president after its very short (in historical sense) civil rights movement. Even so the racism is eternal, America stands up to it, and it is great.
America is generous to the outlanders, how many students can learn in the American schools, college, universities without any obligation to stay in the country. As the most outstanding scientific capacity, America attracts the most motivated people to learn, work and research. Many of them get several scientific degree. In this respect America the first country, but this powerful advantage remaind unused. It is pity.
America is greatest or not, there is room for improvement.
Well written :)
The only reason why I started watching this show (The Newsroom) is because of the clip that you've referenced in your post! I am a citizen of the US (as well as Hungary) and I do agree with everything you wrote. The US has the potential to become the greatest country in the world in every aspect - but most importantly, I hope that it will keep on showing its greatness & kindness to You! :)
Post a Comment