I am feeling a lot more optimistic today. Last week I had the MRI done and everything looked normal, so I have the OK from my doctor to start running. I am getting a running analysis done tomorrow, so I am sort of waiting to see what that says before I really get back into it. However, I did run a mile or so on the treadmill on yesterday and while it hurt a little bit right after, with some icing and lots of stretching, it pretty much went away and I felt great today. I have to say that I have a great doctor as well as physical therapist. The doctor really seems to take a personal interest in my condition and he called me right as he received my results both after the X-rays and MRI I had gotten. The PT is very nice, also a runner, very knowledgeable and easy to talk to and ask questions. Last week, she put this sort of magical tape on my shin, called Kinesio tape, it was bright blue (I had the choice between that and bright pink) and it feels just like regular cotton tape but supposedly, depending on the direction it is applied, it can either support or inhibit muscles, helping healing or in stabilizing them during exercise. I was a bit skeptical about it at first, but it might have actually worked. My muscles have been more relaxed. I have also been trying to stretch a lot so I am not sure what worked in the end. It's very possible that just knowing the tape was on my leg made a difference, or possibly the bright color it brought to my life for a few days. I have to say I liked the blue very much. While they also have tan colored tape available, if I ever get this again, I would prefer the blue color.
Today I took my bike out again. I was planning to go to Coney Island this time, to hang out by the ocean, but I soon realized that it was pretty far and it was also pretty cold today, so after hanging out in Prospect Park for a while, I went to bar in Park Slope I had been in before a couple of times. It's called Union Hall, very chill place, the walls are lined with bookshelves, which immediately makes the whole place look super friendly to me. There are also couches, cheap drinks, bocce lanes, and a downstairs room where they have concerts and once a monthly science talks, although I have never been able to make any of those yet. Anyhow, it's just a perfect place to stop by for a drink of whatever choice and read for a while, even on a Sunday afternoon. There are so many people biking around Brooklyn, and this place seems to be pretty popular among bikers too, lots of people with helmets in the bar and crowded bike racks outside. It was a very nice day, sunny but chilly, but perfect on the bike, riding across the East river bridges is really something, especially riding towards Manhattan on the Williamsburg bridge with the skyline of the east side, the Empire State Building and the Chrysler Building... unfortunately I was so tired by this point, I was desperate to get home as soon as I could, so I didn't stop for any pictures. I am really glad to see that there are so many bike paths in Brooklyn, I wish it was more like that in Manhattan too. Maybe the people here are too crazy for that, drivers seem to have no regard for the bikers.
Busy week ahead, going on our annual Immunology retreat on Thursday-Friday, I am trying to avoid at all cost, making my poster. I will have to deal with that starting tomorrow though. And hopefully I can really get back to some sort of training, as in running more than a mile soon :)
No comments:
Post a Comment