Rainy day in NYC today... Walking through the dark streets of SoHo, the sidewalk shiny from all the water, navigating around the big puddles. Trying to find a place to eat... not so easy in that area, for once, the streets are empty, there is only the noise of the rain against the windows and the cars passing on a nearby street. Then I spot the little cafe on Prince St. and I remember having spent a lovely September afternoon there talking about Henry and June and the meaning of life. I insist on going there, good memories pull me back, and I am happy about the friendly Eastern European waitress, who is sitting at the table next to ours when she's not busy taking orders, reading a book in some language unknown to me. Happiness: being served a hot chocolate on a cold and rainy evening with whipped cream as high as the cup itself on top of it and then trying to eat the cream off the top without spilling the drink, which inevitably ends up on the tip of my nose and all around my mouth.
On my way home on the 6 train: young guy with guitar gets on and starts playing Here comes the sun by George Harrison. Our side of the train gets a bit excited, maybe a little drunk already, they start singing the chorus and soon enough, half the train is singing the song and the musician is laughing and we are all laughing and the guy next to us who had been studying anatomy looks up from his book and is singing and the girl across from us takes her headphones off and is smiling. I almost never give money to people on the subway, but this guy deserved it more than anyone: he made us all smile! Little reminder of why I still love NYC (at least in moments like this one)!
No comments:
Post a Comment