Monday, June 21, 2010

How much do you love what you do?

A friend of mine, when describing one of her previous jobs - she's an artist and she used to work at the Metropolitan Opera as a backstage painter/artist and also on movie sets doing artwork - she said that she loved it so much she would have paid them to work there. I thought for a moment and decided that that should be something I strive for. For so many people, it's all about the money. So many graduate students complain of the long hours and not getting paid enough; we are still in school and yet we get paid more than most people in this world do. I never felt it unfair in any way; there are many other things I think are unfair and ridiculous about grad school and the way we get treated, but I would never complain about the money. And I never want to. Maybe it's just New York, maybe it's the US, but there is this incredible desire for wealth and prestige for which people will almost do anything. Even if that means that they don't ever have time to take a vacation to spend all that money on.

But back to my original thought: how many people in this world can say that they would pay to do their job because they love it so much?? I want to feel that way about what I do! For now, I try to stay positive about my work despite of the negative feedback I often receive and look to other things to fill my life with which I would pay for to continue doing. Like running. Knock on wood, things on the roads have been great. My times are improving, I feel great, healthy and strong, and I am enjoying it more than ever. These days, I find that there is no better way to clear my mind and release anxiety and stress than going out for a long, steamy run (it's been hot in NYC). I have gotten somewhat addicted (what better thing to get addicted to?) over the past few weeks - due in part to some emotional turbulence - and after a day or two of not running, I feel restless. I am trying to channel my positive energies towards this now, and hopefully it will energize me in other parts of my life too.

1 comment:

Daniel said...

I love my job and think it's the best in the world, really. But it has taken me a while to get here so hang in there and do not settle for anything less. In the mean time we'll run a couple more marathons just to clear our minds :)