Ok, so on my way home tonight from running, I had this sort of an epiphany. I was feeling so good, even though I had a difficult run, a not so good day, the perspective of a lot more work when I get home. I was wondering, so weird, why should I feel so carefree and happy? Well, maybe it has nothing to do with any of this. It's inside, it's a way of thinking, it's a state of mind, it's a lot of work. Yes, work, maybe a habit. But like with everything we do or learn, it takes time. Especially when it's not our way of being, when it's not comfortable. It takes time and practice.
Let's take sports for example. Recently, for the first time in my life, I played squash. Now, I am a generally athletic person, always done sports, have pretty good hand-eye coordination, and it's a one-handed sport, much like fencing, and I have a relatively strong right arm. I am not saying I know how to play squash, but my first time wasn't a disaster: I could generally hit the ball. Yet, both times I have played now, I could barely move for about 3 days. Not unlike after running the marathon, going down the stairs and sitting down were particularly torturous - needed to first put my hands down behind me before sitting on the toilet :) for example. And this, after about an hour of squash! I can run for hours, used to fence for hours, and yet, after an hour of squash, I become basically disabled. So there is my point about learning things. Until I become comfortable, until it becomes second nature, it's going to be tough.
So back to happiness. It's like squash, or anything else we do. It's an act, it might not come naturally, but if we practice and want to learn it, it'll eventually come, and when it does, we have to cherish it. I am cherishing it now.

(I would just add running to this chart somewhere :)
1 comment:
(applause)
Cherish it, channel it, allow those moments of peace-happy-zen perspective to seep into the pores of the soul and revitalize you. Bad times, karma, debt collections, and negative people are ever-present in life today, arm yourself with 'filling the tank' with the happy-stored moments. KNOW that you will produce a fabulous thesis, that you will further education, (in other words) things will work out great. You are exceptional in mind, body and spirit. Problems with us humans is that we get in our own way, even subconsiously 'blocking' an energy flow, that is natural, for the connection between heart, soul, and the mind. Those moments are when it's aligned and flowing. (le' cough) ok, that was really deep, almost too deep for 640am. Point is, you've found or better yet, recognized a sort-of chi flow giving you peace and happiness during "normal" living. KNOW that you are doing great, making progress, and one exceptional modern woman. And yes, it's time for coffee!!
Post a Comment