2 weeks in Budapest. 2 protests. Too many conversations about the current state of affairs. Too many articles in the international media about the state of affairs. On my last night in the city, I took to the streets again to protest. According to the liberal media - what's left of it - there were 100,000 people on the streets around the Opera house where the government planned an extravagant celebration of the new constitution, which they dubbed "basic law". Accoring to the nationally owned media outlets, there were a few people. The news on those stations only showed a line of police as they blocked a little side street. Well, I was there, and there were a lot more than a few people, maybe not 100,000 but definitely tens of thousands. Among other things, this new constitution changed the official name of our country to omit the word "Republic". So one of the major themes was the idea of a republic and why we need it back urgently. I stood in the crowd with my best friend, holding hands so we wouldn't lose each other and also because the noise was a bit scary at times.
She is a young doctor and has no perspective in this country. She decided to quit her job that barely payed the bills - yes, she is a doctor - and now moonlights to make ends meet. We grew up together, had similar hopes and dreams, we still do. She loves what she does and wants only to be able to continue doing it in the country she was born in, but it's become impossible. Saying good-bye to her, I felt so sad. I have all these dreams, a future I am planning, an exciting year ahead, with more interviews, decisions and changes. I am excited! She is scared and worried about what this new year will bring. Young, educated people should not live like that! They should be able to dream big and go grab it! And if they chose to stay in their own countries, they should be able to do it there!
Will the protests achieve anything? I have no idea, but people's voices have to be heard. They have to be heard around the world. I hope that next time I come home to visit, there will still be something left to protest for.
No comments:
Post a Comment