The next larger envelope contained something I had ordered for myself before Christmas as a present. It worked out nicely since I totally forgot about it and it was quite a surprise when I opened it yesterday. It's a print from this amazing NYT cartoonist, Christoph Niemann, who ran the NYC marathon last year with a notepad and live-drew the entire course. There were several drawings among these I loved but this one I felt special about. To me it symbolizes the spirit of the marathon. And more. It symbolizes that point where the race almost completely crumples the spirit. It's that point where you are ready to surrender to it, to just give up and stop running. But you don't. And somehow this picture reminds me not only of that moment - several moments, in fact, seemingly endless moments - on 5th Ave where I felt exactly like the guy does on the notepad, but also reminds me that I made it past that and didn't give up. Here it is - now on my wall in a nice frame:

I also finally got around to getting a nice frame for my diploma. It had been sitting between two oversized books in its protective envelope since the summer. It was time to get it out. It's also a symbol of not giving up more than anything else. I started a new folder for my medical school applications too: the acceptance folder. It now has 4 letters in it. As a reminder, I am tempted to start a rejection folder alongside, to never forget to stay humble and aim higher. But in any case, a lot of dreams I had considered unattainable are now hanging on my wall or lying nicely in a tucked away folder on my bookshelf. It's a pretty good feeling. And proof that impossible is absolutely nothing.
No comments:
Post a Comment