One of the most beautiful places I have ever been in my life! The village of Sintra, a 30 minute train ride away from Lisbon, between the Atlantic and the city. It's a tiny village built at the foot of 2 hills: one with a very old castle on top it, the walls of which still stand, and another hill with a palace on top built in Portuguese romantic style. I was standing by the palace, looking out toward the castle and the ocean at the far end, with rolling green hills and many villages in between. The view was absolutely humbling, like a beautiful piece of music, an inspiring story or a Frida Kahlo painting, it made me cry.
Climbing on centuries-old stones and walls made me feel like a kid again. It was very satisfying to trek up to these hills on foot when loads of people were waiting in long lines for buses. Could not think of a better way to spend my last and only free day in Portugal, which is quickly becoming one of my favorite countries.
4 comments:
Hi Julie,
This is a distant cousin named Sander, aka Sanyi. Your father met my grandparents in 1975 in Budapest. He found me via pictures of Sarospatak on my website. You can find my site here: http://sanderfeinberg.com
I enjoyed your pictures of the Castle.
S
Hi Sander,
Thank you for checking out my pictures and blog.
It's great to find out about so many relatives I never knew about. Your pictures are great! We have another relative in LA who does photography and I really enjoy his pictures too, Rick Chinelli, his website is http://www.flickr.com/photos/rick_chinelli_fine_art_photography/
~Julie
How is Rick related to us?
That's a good question. His wife, Vivian is the one who's related to us. She is on Geni, I believe. My Father would know more about this. I think her maiden name was Vivian Bernstein, and her mother, Vera was related to my Father somehow.
Post a Comment