Someone I know has been doing jury duty for the grand jury - deciding if cases should go to trial or not - in NYC for a couple of weeks now. She said it was enough to spend one day in grand jury to completely lose her faith in humanity. I can only imagine, fortunately. I guess, might be one of the few benefits of being foreign: they can't make me do jury duty!
It's easy to say - and I do it often too - that there are so many bad things happening in the world, so many wars and senseless killings that humanity is simply doomed. However, I have had the good fortune to meet so many wonderful people along my path, who were absolutely selfless. Again, I have crossed paths with two such wonderful people, who, without even knowing me well, want to help in any way they can. If only for one night, I was invited into a world unknown to me: Ivy League Clubs, more specifically, the Yale Club. It's a place where people are expected to wear nice clothes even if just going to the library and the waiters in the "casual" dining room wear tuxedos. Not a place I would chose to go for dinner in New York, but wow, that salmon was delicious! And the warm chocolate cake for dessert... heavenly!
As Gandhi said, "You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty."
No comments:
Post a Comment