Sunday, November 15, 2009

Paradox? I don't think so!

I was feeling horrible earlier today. I was being lazy, sitting around my apartment, reading, listening to music, and all I wanted to do was curl up on the couch. Instead, I had made plans to run with Rachel and there was no way for me to cancel as we had set a time to meet in the park and she didn't have her phone with her. So I got my ass off the couch, changed into running clothes and headed out into the spring weather - ah, it's been such wonderful weather! - to meet Rachel. By the time I crossed Lexington, I was jogging, and then I was feeling much much better when I met Rachel. We did about 4 miles together and it felt great the whole time, except for the little aches and pains that have been coming and going ever since I started back a few weeks ago. After we were done, I felt like a completely new person. I was so glad I had to go for this run. For sure, before I was a runner - can I really call myself a runner? - I would have chosen to stay in and been a couch potato in a similar situation. Now, unless I am on my death-bed - or have a fracture - I will go out for a run no matter what. A little pain, a little rain or wind will not stop me! The reward: more energy and enthusiasm for the rest of life and always a better mood!

One of my best friends just started her internship in internal medicine. I can only imagine how crazy her life has been recently. She has also just gotten back into fencing: going twice a week whenever she can. She said that since she's had so little time, she's been more careful with managing it and actually has been finding it easier to manage. So true! Whenever I have had a lot of free time - when was that again, I can't remember anymore - I ended up wasting a lot more of it by being lazy and putting things off, saying "oh, I have so much time, I can just do this or that later..." Now, free time is something very precious, and life has been great! I feel more balanced (I wish I had just a little more time so I could squeeze a yoga class in here and there) and a lot more productive.

The only problem is, I need to think very hard about priorities! I have to practice saying no and be a little selfish sometimes, not let strangers stay in my apartment for weeks, not give in to the temptation to say yes every time a friend asks me to hang out, or to every fencing tournament I am asked to referee. Structure, balance, productivity, ability to say no, and hopefully stay sane are some of these priorities, goals to achieve in the near future, I suppose. And there is no room for failure now, NONE!

No comments: