Sunday, November 1, 2009

Get to




Things that make me cry: people in wheelchairs completing a marathon; a grown man breaking down and sobbing on his wife's shoulder after finishing a marathon; a middle aged man wearing a clown nose and a finisher's medal, surrounded by his proud children; the words "I fell apart on the last mile"; and not getting to do what I have worked so hard for. Because it's not about having to do something, not about the pain and the suffering, the medals and congratulations, but it's about the goal and the challenge, the fact that I can chose to do this, that I get to do this, what many people don't ever get to do. It is most painful when you really want it but don't get to do it. Things that made me smile: people from all over the world coming together for one common cause, to accomplish this incredible task; the smiles on people's faces despite the pain they must be feeling; men running in kilts; men running in pink outfits; a man proposing to his girlfriend who had just completed a marathon.

No comments: