Most people hate Mondays. Maybe I am weird, but I like Mondays. Maybe it has to do with the fact that I and many of the people I am close to work on weekends. At one point this Sunday afternoon, my side of the lab was completely full; if I were to just look around, it would have looked like any weekday. I don't mind at all. I think if your work is not your hobby (which is how my college advisor put it) and not something you love, then you should consider switching jobs. I am extremely lucky to be doing something I enjoy doing even on a Sunday afternoon. Even though it's not what I want to do for the rest of my life. (And since what I do want to do for the rest of my life will involve many nights and weekends spent working, it's good to be getting used to it now :)
So back to my original point: I like Mondays. It's also that I absolutely adore the people I work with - even those who usually stay out of lab on the weekends. We have a great time, long lunches spent telling stories, gossiping. After some significant progress I had made on figures for my thesis yesterday, I managed to actually write a whole page today (it's the hardest to actually start the writing process. I can spend days on little details of figures to procrastinate, but to actually write concise sentences is something else.) And then Janice announced that she had baked a cake - for December belated birthdays! One of my favorites yet. Makes any day just a bit brighter.
Then there is our Monday night running group. Despite the horrendously cold forecast (20F/-6C) 4 of us headed out to the park after work. It turned out to not be quite that cold and did a nice couple of loops around the Southern part of Central Park. Then we headed back to my apartment to make some gluhwein - warm mulled wine - order in some Thai food, spend some time with the girls (the only boy in our running group can be a bit antisocial at times and does not drink. I offered him some hot chocolate but he declined.).
A long hot shower after everyone left, and here I am now all bundled in my PJs and fleece and all I have left to do is document this wonderful day.
No comments:
Post a Comment