
Post-marathon blues. Yup, it's happening. I took one whole week off running. It was a combination of soreness, knee pain, laziness, busyness and a variety of other excuses. The week after the marathon I still felt high. Like I could do anything. Then Monday rolled around, I went out to the park in the morning and dragged my feet for 3 miles. Walked, jogged, stretched. It was entirely unsatisfying.
With the marathon behind me - and me being satisfied with how I did - as well as having gotten that first med school acceptance letter, I am now in an in-between zone. Having most of my interviews behind me, I can do little to improve my situation with other schools. I am waiting. I hate waiting. As for running, I think if I had run 16 seconds slower - not much on the scale of 4 hours - putting me over 4:00:00, I would now be more hungry, wanting to take it on again soon, to show it that I could do it, to show myself that I was not beaten. However, I am happy with my progress in running. For this reason I am not very motivated at the moment.
On the third day of being in a not-so-great mood, I decided it was time to set some new goals. I cannot sit around with this "now what?" attitude anymore. I am a person who needs little goals, all the time. Without them, I feel useless. I don't need a marathon every month to be happy, but something small. So I emailed my remaining running buddies in the city and signed up for some fun races for December like the Jingle Bell run in Brooklyn and a 15K in Central Park. Already I felt better.
It was raining all day today. But I just needed to run. Not because now I have a 4M race coming up in a few weeks, but because I miss it already. It's like crack. So I put on a rain jacket and went for 5 miles. It was awesome, even though the machinery is still a bit rusty. I felt like a new person afterwords. I picked up some food on the way home, and as I walked out of the store, a man walking by casually said "you're very attractive, have a great night." Now, I was certainly not looking too hot in my dripping wet running attire, hood over my head, but I managed a smile and a "thank you have a good night" and with that we walked in opposite directions. He didn't bother me or try to get my number, just a nice gesture that definitely made my evening better. It's nice when things like that happen. And now what? Now is the time to live.
1 comment:
To make you feel even better, I bailed out last night though I was thinking about running in the rain but then decided to be lazy instead. And I am yet to be called attractive in a rain jacket (or any jacket, or with no jacket) in a Deli! I am going to give this city a chance to make this one up to me tonight :)
Post a Comment