Friday, August 7, 2009

Abducted by aliens?

...was the question that waited for me in my inbox this morning, from a coworker. It's nice to know that after an unannounced day of absence from lab, people missed me and were wondering where I'd gone. Well, I wasn't abducted by aliens, thank god - although wouldn't mind trying if they were nice - i just spent a lazy day in Brooklyn.

The plan was to go to a free concert, which was part of the Rhythm and Blues Festival, at noon - strange time for a concert, I know. The performer, Zap Mama, was really great. The music is a mix of African, Asian and European sounds, it sounds mostly African most of the time, and she has a very powerful voice and so much energy! They played for almost 2 hours straight, with lots of dancing and jumping and craziness, like her vinyl-hat that kept bouncing around as she was jumping high in the air during her songs. So great to see such an energetic person! The sun even came out during her show, after the day starting out with a few drops of rain and very cloudy skies.




Despite the energy of the music, I had no energy yesterday. I was still really sore from Tuesday's workout and then Wednesday's painful run and could just not wake up all day, even after 2 cups of coffee. After the concert, I was planning to go back to lab, but the 45 minute subway-ride seemed dreadful, and by the time I decided to stay in Brooklyn, all the clouds had passed and it started getting warmer. So I walked over to the Brooklyn Bridge and decided to hang out there in the park until the Thursday night "Movies with a View" program started. A few friends were coming to the park later for the movie too, so I just put my blanket down and made myself comfortable on the grass. After playing with my camera and reading a bit, I fell asleep for about an hour until Becky got there and started friendlily kicking me. All of a sudden, I had all this energy and scarfed down 2 huge slices of Grimaldi's pizza (the best pizza in NY, according to many) and watched the rather silly "Return of the Pink Panther" from the 70s.





Lovely day, all in all.

No comments: