Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Forgotten muscles

I am currently lying on my couch with an ice-pack wrapped around my thigh - more like my groin actually - near a muscle I managed to pull during my first lunge at my first fencing practice after returning from summer break.

That's all I managed to write last night before passing out on my couch and then later dragging myself over to my bed... all the little muscles that are barely used on a regular bases were screaming at me! Getting out of bed this morning was no easy feat either. Huh, I made it to lab somehow, limping across the street...

Last night, since there weren't too many people fencing (summer break still, I guess) I joined a friend for her workout routine set up for her by her coach. I figured, since I haven't been doing anything but running lately, a little lifting and strength training will do good. We did some shoulder and leg circuits with jump-roping in between and really hardcore ab-work at the end. She's pretty serious about getting into shape for the season, it was so hard! It's crazy that I can run 20 km without much of a problem, but a few lunges and situps totally kill me! I need to start using all my muscles to create a more balanced fitness.

Last night, I also asked one of the coaches at the club for some lessons. I figure I'll start in a couple of weeks - after the half marathon - and try to get weekly lessons to get back into fencing shape, which is very different from general fitness. My hand is weak and I have to find my point, but I think I'll be ok soon.

No comments: