Back from a great last run before the race. Makes me feel confident and strong! This Sunday is the NYC Half Marathon, which I am very excited about, running in the city, with friends, on my birthday weekend, ahhh, how nice!
This is high fall marathon training time. Especially in NYC I guess, although I wouldn't know about other places. There are so many people in Central Park running, morning, evening, late at night, always! Lots of training groups, super fast people passing me left and right. I prefer going at it alone, or with one other person. It's good to be running with Rachel again more these days. In any case, I am in shape! I am not sure if I was ever before. Even when I was competitively fencing, it was different. I was out of breath after a few 15 touch bouts. Nowdays, I fence once a week or less, and still, I can do 4-5 long bouts without a problem - that it, lung- and -legwise, my arm/hand are killing me! But most importantly, I have been enjoying it all a lot more: running - not in the morning, or in 30C and 95% humidity - and fencing and biking and all exercise. I have also been doing a lot of it. It feels great! Although I am constantly hungry and have been sleeping closer to 9-10 hours a night and still feel like I could go for 10 more hours when I get up in the morning.
It's exciting when there is a goal ahead. Just a few days ago, I got a handbook in the mail, for the marathon, coming up in about 2 and a half months - time flies! It's pretty intense, stressed me out a bit just to look through it. 43 thousand people running in it, so one can imagine how much planning and organization it takes! They have wave starts, they have to, this many people just can't crowd onto NYC streets all at once. But how exciting, the whole city will be shut down for 43 thousand crazy people choosing to suffer for 4 or more hours on the asphalt. But how exciting!! There are very complicated instructions, based on the person's race number, as to how to get to the start - on Staten Island - and then how to exit Central Park once you cross the finish line - seems simple, but they are going to have assigned side streets for people to exit on. Makes sense I guess, all of Central Park might not be able to hold 43 thousand people, let alone the area near the finish at Tavern on the Green. It's definitely going to be an experience - if all goes well, of course. I am trying to not make assumptions and have great expectations. Just take it one day, one race at a time.
Now, on to get food, lots of food, for the weekend, and then lots of healing sleep :)
No comments:
Post a Comment