Friday, August 21, 2009

Love till the end

I am walking down a dimly lit corridor smelling slightly of urine. The doors leading into patient rooms on the sides are mostly open and even if I try not to look, when I walk by, I can't help myself from peaking in. Inside every room, there is a sad story; a story of a life, coming to an end. One of these stories is my Babi's: she is no longer aware of what's happening around her, but I see in her eyes that when we step into her room, she is happy.

We're walking down the same corridor, chatting with the cute nurse, Victor. He is funny, tries to bring some love and humour into the routines of being a geriatric nurse in a nursing home. Another old lady is walking in front of us, just barely moving. Victor sees her and says that she'll be happy to see him, he is joking about her being in love with him. I have to admit, he is the light in this place. he runs up to her and kisses her on the cheek and pets her on the head, like you would with a toddler. When we catch up with the lady, she is glowing and excited: I got a kiss, she says with a huge grin on her face, I got a kiss, she keeps repeating. A moment later she is back in her own world and turns around to walk in the other direction, perhaps already forgetting about Victor's kiss. But for a moment that day, he made her smile and blush like teenage girls do when they see the boy they have a crush on.

1 comment:

rachel said...

he sounds wonderful