Sunday, November 21, 2010

Glamorous

It's sort of a tradition in the lab that we go all out for the HSS Christmas party every year. It's held in the Grand Hyatt including a nice buffet dinner, gorgeous desserts, unlimited wine and a cheesy DJ who plays the exact same 80's and 90's pop hits year after year. And there are the penguins - part of the party decoration the first two years we went to the party - now they are residents of the 4th floor of the HSS research building :)





This year's holiday party is less than a month away!! Of course, the most important part of whole evening is the dress! All the girls specially buy dresses for the occasion (have I ever worn one of those dresses again? Ummm, no). Last week, I was just browsing online while procrastinating and saw a pretty cute party dress on sale, so I figured the party is far enough away that I could buy it and even return if it's no good. It arrived yesterday! Pretty blue, tight, very flattering. As I was trying it on and thinking whether I would ever wear it besides the holiday party, I got a message from a friend I was planning to meet for dinner and he suggested snazzing up a bit. Uh, I thought, great opportunity to look ridiculously overdressed for dinner. I wondered if he had in mind going somewhere fancy or out on the town, and even though I was pretty tired and had just finished a full day of work in the lab and running, I really wanted to look nice!

So I put on my shiniest stockings, the pretty blue dress, some make-up, big earrings, heels, and headed out. Even though we only ended up going down the street to this nice Spanish tapas restaurant I really like, it felt way more special this way. It wasn't even a date and yet I was excited and felt different. It was so lovely: a nice meal, wine, nice company, and looking like a million bucks! I wish I had the chance to do it more often! Thank god the holiday party is just around the corner!

2 comments:

rachel said...

we need pics of the dress!!

Anonymous said...

Glamorous is right! Congrats on le' dress! Ditto on pics btw. I can't agree more and we (as a society) need to dress up more often, i desperately want to!! I say it brings the soul alive.