Sunday, January 9, 2011

On the F

Saturday evening, downtown F train. I am sitting reading a book. In Hungarian. It's rare but today I just picked up this book that's been sitting on a shelf for months (maybe years) that a friend gave me saying that I would love it. It's only recently that my reading mood has returned after some months of hiatus, so I opened it to the first page, read a few lines and then couldn't put it down. After a few hours I had to leave my apartment to meet some friends downtown, so there I am on the F train sitting and reading.

At 14th St, someone sits next to me. I am so engrossed in the story I don't even look up. Some moments later I realize that his face is practically touching mine and he's reading my book. Not just glancing over, but READING it!! Ok, I thought, maybe he's Hungarian, wouldn't be the weirdest thing that ever happened in this city. I am trying to concentrate on the story, but it's getting harder. Ignore it or sit somewhere else? Well, I have to get off at W 4th, so just deal with it for another stop. Then he opens his mouth. Thick Russian accent.

"Hungary?"
"Oh yes, do you speak Hungarian?"
"Oh no, just been there, are you married?"
"Um, what? No, what?"
"What's your name? Can I have your number? How old are you?"
"Um, WHAT? No, WHAT? I don't think so"
"Please, your number!"
"It's my stop, sorry, um, no, no number."

And with that I am off the F train.

Now, I am not one of those girls who doesn't enjoy being flirted with. Quite the opposite actually. I think it's flattering and a great boost to one's confidence. I even like it when the construction guys whistle when I pass by. In fact, I am disappointed when they don't. But to start a conversation with "are you married?", that's a bit too much.

Are there any men in this city between those who want to marry you on the subway and those who just walk out without a word??

3 comments:

rachel said...

how old did he look? was he attractive?

Julie said...

He was a bit older and not entirely unattractive, although I felt so uncomfortable I tried not to look at him. But the point is that it was really pushy and especially with my record, I should not be giving my phone number to anybody on the subway :)

Anonymous said...

Yes there are...i think..maybe. Sounds creepy, hence my desire to NOT be reincarnated as a woman, what you all have to go through on a daily basis, i'll pass. But the compliments..oh yes, ego feed good, and we all need a reinforcement of confidence. Those darn subway studs, always coming up with new creepy ways to approach lovely ladies. oy vey