There was a fire truck parked in front of the main building of New York Presbyterian (I got a little worried for a moment) and then I saw that the ladder was high up near the windows of the hospital. Oh no, I thought, is this some sort of rescue? It didn't make much sense considering that if anyone was hurt, he or she would have been stuck inside the biggest hospital in NYC. In any case, it turned out not to be a rescue...
There they were: Santa and a Reindeer, waving to people in the windows and ringing bells. I have to say that if I was a patient in one of those rooms and woke up to Santa and a reindeer waving at me from outside the 10th floor window, I might have freaked out a bit. But then again, they could always blame it on the medications. There were people on the ground taking pictures with their cell phones, wondering what all the commotion was about. I wanted to keep looking but it was already pretty late for me to be getting to work, so I went inside, and there was even more going on there.
All of Ladder 13 of the FDNY seemed to be singing Christmas Carols, with tons of people - patients, doctors, nurses, visitors and security guards - gathered around and taking even more pictures. It was a merry scene. Very heartwarming and it's stayed with me for the rest of day, at least so far. Thanks to the firemen!
No comments:
Post a Comment