It was probably not the smartest idea to start with fencing the new star of American fencing as my first bout back after 6 months. This girl has won all national and most international events in juniors for some time now, and she is only 16 and is on a whole different level of fencing (than myself and most other people at the club too) so after that first bout I almost gave up and went home. But then things got a little better and I ended up having a lot of fun and seems to have worked out a deal with the new manager of the club in terms of going to fence every once in a while without having to pay 100s of dollars in membership fees.

Once again, I can feel the invisible strings of fencing pulling me back into it. After months of not picking up a foil, I start having a sort of craving or anxiety that only goes away once I get to the gym, suit up and start fencing. It doesn't matter whether I win or lose, even whether I can score any touches, it's just a part of my life I cannot let go - yet, at least - and maybe I shouldn't.
I found this old picture from years ago, back when I could lunge this deep; I am the one with my back to the camera.
No comments:
Post a Comment