In the past few months I haven't gone to the movies very often, which is a very big change from previous times when I used to almost see a movie every week. I have been a lot busier with work and running than before, it's winter and often it's really tempting to stay in and my usual movie-date has also been super busy with her brand new job and boyfriend. There also hasn't been any movie I was really excited to see - maybe James Bond, but that was for purely aesthetic reasons.
Last night I saw a movie that I absolutely loved and wanted to share a bit about it. It's called The Reader, the book it's based on (originally written in German) was a choice in my book-club this month, although we didn't end up choosing it in the end. It's about a lot of things: a love affair between a 15 year old boy and a 30-some year old woman, about the love of books and reading, and most importantly, about the collective German guilt in the decades following the Holocaust. It's beautifully acted: Kate Winslet has really come to be one of the great young actresses of our generation (not bad considering Titanic), the young actor playing Michael, David Kross, I thought was really great - I cannot even imagine the intimidation an 18-year old must feel filming steamy sex-scenes with someone like Kate Winslet. And then of course, maybe the main reason I was so excited about this movie, was Ralph Fiennes, who played the adult Michael: the character of a quiet, morose, divorced middle-aged man suits him well, and throughout the movie, his face looked distorted by constant pain and guilt.
Even today, I kept thinking about the movie, it touched me deeply. Here's the trailer, I can only recommend it:
No comments:
Post a Comment