Thursday, December 25, 2008

Italian Christmas Feast

After all the worrying about what my Christmas away from home was going to be like, it turned out wonderfully, thanks to my close friend Kelsey and her amazing family!

The day started out somewhat stressfully, with rushing to yoga and baking cookies, then getting a late start to the train station, facing the huge lines at the ticket machines, and jumping on the train with 20 seconds to spare before it left the station, later realizing that I had forgotten to take my return ticket from the machine - I didn't have to pay again thanks to the nice conductor who realized that I was clearly flustered.


I was shocked when Kelsey told me in the car from the train station to her house that there would be between 30 and 50 people at their holiday party. Apparently, this is the biggest annual event that her family hosts in their house, with their whole Italian side of the family and lots of friends attending every year. At the peak of the party, there were somewhere between 35 and 40 people there; it was impossible to count with everyone moving around. All of the food was homemade and traditionally all seafood, from tilapia through salmon and mussels to shrimp and clams and tuna. It was truly a feast!



Not only was the food all home-cooked and delicious, but the entire house was in festive Christmas decorations, all of which was done by Kelsey's Mom. She also had dishes, pots and pans, cups and all kinds of kitchenware specifically for the holiday, which was so cute and she seemed to have gotten presents for everyone who was at the party, even to her daughters' friends like myself, which is so nice and thoughtful!



Big big thanks to Kelsey and the Nenchecks for being so welcoming! The more time I spend away from home, the more I realize that family does not necessarily mean relation by blood; rather, it's the people we meet along the way in life who find a place in our hearts and who take care of us when we need it the most. Towards the end of the evening, it was difficult to hold the camera still, so we're a bit blurry, but here we are. Merry Christmas Everyone!

No comments: