Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Plan to be surprised

I am very much relieved to be done with this half marathon - or almost half marathon as I just found out. Apparently, there was some kind of mistake with the route planning and the course ended up being only 12.9 miles instead of the full 13.1. In any case, the race went really well, even though I was so worried about my leg hurting and about the nearing date for the start of my marathon training (the plan is to start in early June) and whether it was gonna rain or not and everything else that one can ever be worried about.

Of course, it all turned out to be perfect. When we woke up around 6 am on Sunday, it was pouring outside, but by the time we exited the subway to go to the start, it was nice and sunny - the weather really does change hourly in Boston - and it was perfect the whole race. I was feeling strong and healthy, my leg hurt a tiny bit for the first mile or so and then I settled into a nice pace. The course was mainly flat, except for up and down bridges. We ran along the Charles River, and oh how nice it was to be running on a new course. As much as I love Central Park, it's been getting a little boring just running around and around it. At the end of, I wasn't completely exhausted, like in my last half, or at the marathon, I felt good, and finished in 1:53:58, just under 9 minute miles, which I am really happy about!

Instead of worrying and planning, and worrying about the plans, and planning to worry, maybe we should just plan to be surprised.

3 comments:

Mum said...

Nagyon szellemes, különösen az utolsó mondat. Annyira jó, hogy szinte ezekért érdemes élni!

Komolyra fordítva a szót, remélem, hogy jobban vagy és kergeted a vírusokat. Várok tőled híreket az influenzádra vonatkozóan.

Sokszor csókollak.

Courtney Ann said...

Congrats, Julie! I had no idea you were going up to Boston for a pseudo-half marathon...

I have a friend who is running a half marathon on Coney Island on Saturday morning. You happen to be doing that one too?

marion said...

OMG! A half marathon within 2 hrs? Congrats, you rule! :)