This week has been pretty crazy with having to make a poster for the conference I am leaving to tomorrow morning and also having my annual research in progress presentation today. Now that's it's all said and done, I am extremely relieved and excited to go to Seattle! The presentation went very well all the way up until the newest faculty member of our program - typical Russian scientist type - who happened to discover a really important molecule in immunology and is thus, really well known, asked me such a convoluted question (well, it makes sense in retrospect, but as a friend of mine said, you need special skills to be able to understand a question asked in a Russian accent while a room full of people is staring at you expecting a really intelligent response) and I got super confused, and actually said, after mumbling something, that I was confused, which some people mentioned was cute. Not sure if I was looking for cute. I tried not to be totally humiliated. Oh well, it's over now, he probably does this so often that he won't remember me anyway.
After the talk, my whole lab went out for a big lunch payed by my advisor (as soon as he left for a meeting, we started ordering sake, hehe) and then I spent the afternoon doing nothing before getting a few beers with some friends at my favorite German beer garden on the Lower East Side. Overall, a pretty good day.
Now, it's packing, again. It's been almost 6 weeks since I came back from Europe and I have not left NYC in those 6 weeks. It's some sort of record I think. While it was nice to be staying put for a while, I have worked almost all of those weekends that I was in town for - I pretty much need to leave the state in order to get away from lab - so going on a little adventure will be really nice. Even though it's for a conference and I am presenting a poster, I plan on seeing a lot of sights and relaxing too.
Well, I am off now, to get some sleep before my 5 am wake-up call to go to the airport.
No comments:
Post a Comment