Wednesday, November 3, 2010

4

"So now as the taper is fast approaching, also take heart in knowing: you are supposed to feel crappy all over now till marathon day! Fat, bloated, injured, slow, etc. Even some of your 4 milers you will feel like a slug, have aches and pains and think , “how in the world will I do 26.2 if I can’t do 4?”. It will happen, and its, say it with me: “NORMAL”! So much so that I tell folks if they DON’T feel crappy something is majorly wrong! So go with it! Bring on the crappy!!!" ~from iRunner blog


YES, I feel crappy! After an OK run on Monday night, hips are super tight, no amount of stretching seems to help; yoga this morning a total disaster: my balance seems to have taken a vacation, my right hip cracking loudly. Oyyyyy!!

4 days to go!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always thought that the saying "no pain, no gain" was overrated at best. With my second day down in the record books of working-out and progressing up to full-running, I can honestly say (after knees ablaze, calves tight, and the feeling of being dragged behind a NYcity bus)that the pain brings clarity and focus. Very Oyvey!

Julie said...

Well, yes and no. It's important to know when pain is "good" and when it's too much. When you start running longer distances, pain is almost inevitable - there is this saying I really like, from Haruki Murakami, who's one of my favorite writers and also an avid marathon runner: his mantra that he sometimes repeats to himself during difficult stretches during races is "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional."
With that being said, there is a point where one should admit defeat, because it's not worth it to damage the body permanently. But, hip cracking or not, I am going to finish these 26.2 on Sunday!!

Anonymous said...

Ah, oui! Very well said. My 60-90 day lung recovery from quitting smoking will allow a fantastic period of training up to a more consistent distance and pace. Best of luck and (early)congratulations on the marathon this Sunday!

Daniel said...

How do you feel about the projected 2C/34F on Sunday morning...? (evil laugh) :) I feel the crappy myself, don't worry. I put on 2 pounds in the last 2 weeks, I look like Winnie the Pooh :)

Julie said...

Not at all happy about the temperatures :( gonna be wearing something disposable for sure!!