Yep, my life is a soap opera. Not just my opinion, but according to many of my friends as well. Yes, I can be a little over the top dramatic and get super excited and say over the top things but sometimes it's really not my fault!
A few weeks ago, after a morning trip to a Belgian coffee shop on 1st Ave, I arrived in the lab and declared to Janice that I had just seen my future husband in line getting coffee. Her reaction: hahaha, ok, Julie, calm down, let's be realistic here! I said, well, of course I am joking, but yeah, there was this guy... intense eyes, strong features, blond, European-looking... looking at each other coyly, smiling, looking away... I might be totally wrong, but I just had this feeling... like you know... I don't know...
So for the past few weeks, I have been frequenting this Belgian coffee shop - by the way, also the starting point of an affair a friend was involved in when she wrote her phone number on the check one morning after the two of were served by a rather attractive waiter there - between 9 and 10 in the morning.
And it payed off: today was the day. There he was, same guy, in line, getting a latte and a brioche. What now??? I had no plan for when I was actually gonna see him. So I improvised: I followed him out of the coffee shop. Oh, kinda shady... but in reality, I was going towards the lab, I was just making sure I walked behind him. And then the light turned red at York. Shit, what now? We look at each other, smile, we start speaking at the same time, he asks if we've met before. Oh, I think I might have seen you in the coffee shop before, aren't these lattes good? I am Julie. He tells me his name, which he shares with a very famous Hungarian composer - my first thought, Hungarian? Are you Hungarian? Yes. Um, me too. (Shock on both of our faces.) Do you actually speak Hungarian? Um, yeah. At this point, the conversation switches over to Hungarian...
Really?? Only in New York! Only in my life! My innocent crush from the coffee shop on 1st and 68th is a Hungarian scientist and I actually had a conversation with him!
In Janice's words: i am truly amazed at all this stuff that happens to you, so fabulous, hahah! its a movie.
2 comments:
The cynic in me says "bs! bs! bs!" though it is those magical movie-esque small moments that prove otherwise. Run with it! go go go! Know that you have been blessed and it's no coincidence. Those small moments of pure instinct fuels the passion and fire of life, speaking for myself of course, that is what i search for, strive to be aware of, and truely cherish. I've seen movie and play scripts that come no where near those moments you've experienced. Take it, run with it (literally) and channel that pure excitement for as long as possible. We all know that life, and society can be brutal, constantly stripping our souls apart. Keep that wicked grin, keep the chin up, in happiness and surprise may the best be before you!
You gave me the best laugh this week, love it :) Hope it continues to be as miraculous as it started, it did start well, I admit. Only in New York, baby :)
Post a Comment