Thursday, March 19, 2009

It's never too late


I got this from my Aunt, pretty red flower, in my parents' kitchen window. Too bad I can't take it with me. Finally, there has been a huge net put up on my building in NYC to prevent the pigeons from nesting on balconies, so I think it's time to invest in some plants this spring.

I went for an early morning run this morning with a friend before she had to go to work. It felt awful to have to get up just after 6 but now I am glad because now I have tons of energy and feel like I had a very productive morning. I ran only 1 lap around the island (5.3 km's) and my legs were a little sore around the shins so I did some more stretching after the run. I hope it was just the early morning stiffness. I need at least an hour to get a little loose after getting up before it feels good to run. I am just not a morning person. Can't wait for the day to get longer and the evenings to be lighter so I can run after work in the park again.

Later, I signed my Mom up for an 8 week yoga class at a nearby studio. I have been thinking about how beneficial yoga would be for her. She had never been very athletic but always active. Recently, as I have mentioned before, she started jogging and is now getting to the point where she can run/walk 5 km's and feels good afterwords. I think it'll be great for her to learn some streches in yoga and to go to a class every week with women her age and learn about the Eastern traditions of relaxation and meditation. It's never too late to start! Running or yoga, or both.

Another piece of inspiration: I have been talking to my friend in lab about running a little too much. She gets very stressed and she is the kind of person who admits to needing a lot of time to herself. Running is a lonely activity and I thought it would be a perfect way for her to destress. She had a million excuses though: it was too cold or too hot, too humid or too dry, too dark and too late and so on. I wanted to convince her to start a half marathon training program and try to do the one in May with me in Brooklyn. She said no way! This morning I got an email from her telling me that she had just gone for a short run in Central Park. She sounded excited about it, I love it! I hope that my constant nagging finally caused her to try it, and that she will get into it and might even start enjoying it, and in turn, I feel inspired by her effort and the fact that she told me about it.

No comments: