Strange thing when you really want to see someone and even though you know it's impossible, but every once in a while a gesture, a smile, a similar haircut, shirt or shoe makes you believe otherwise.
I am sitting in a smoke-filled cafe, sipping on a glass of pálinka, talking about missed opportunities and lost loves. At the next table, with his back to me, a man is sitting in a bigger group. I think it's the shape of his head, his haircut which remind me of him. Then I look more closely at his shirt and sweater: they could be his too. I take in the feeling, the moment of excitement, my heart beating a little faster just before my mind kicks in to say NO. I look back at my friend, he's daydreaming as well, maybe about someone far away too. Then again I look at the man at the next table: he has turned and now I see just the side of his face, but still from an angle. Strangely, it still looks a lot like him. I chase the sensation away, stand up to go to the bathroom. When I return, the man is standing near the door, he is short, wearing strange glasses and actually looks nothing like him. Tricky things, our desires are.
No comments:
Post a Comment