This morning I was out and about in the city, and walked by several polling locations, all of which had lines outside on the street. People looked so excited and didn't seem to mind the waiting. I really wished I could go stand in line with them and go vote. Since I can't, all I can do is wear my opinion on my jacket: I was pretty much forced to put on an Obama sticker this weekend when I encountered some last-minute campaigners in Cambridge, MA near the Harvard campus - not that I had to be forced too much, I am happy to wear it, if it makes just a single person stop and think, then it was already worth it. I have to say that since having the sticker on, I have been smiled at much more frequently on the streets of New York than anytime before this.

In Cambridge, sporting my new sticker
The line outside of a polling station on Columbus Ave.

My friends Rachel and Albert voting this morning
The city is extremely vibrant today. After work I went to the grocery store to buy some ingredients for brownies to take to the election party I am going to later. There were more people in the store than I had seen at this hour before. It looked like many people were going to or hosting parties. People looked excited, they were more upbeat than they usually are in New York. The atmosphere on the streets is different too. People are excited and hopeful. Walking down the street, I want to skip and sing and smile. I just hope it'll stay this way come tomorrow.
Some people are worried about the future already: what if someone tries to assassinate Obama? What if he becomes a scapegoat after the economy plummeting even deeper in the upcoming years? What if he isn't going to be a strong president? etc... Well, first, we should worry about tonight and the outcome of the election. Already there's going to be change, we wil just have to see what happens. It's exciting to see democracy at work, even if I can't fully be part of it. Go Obama!
2 comments:
Az egész világ ünnepli OBAMA-t és talán az Egyesült Államokat is.
Sok sikert neki és ennek a gyönyörű hatalmas országnak és benne neked is Julikám!
"I have to say that since having the sticker on, I have been smiled at much more frequently on the streets of New York than anytime before this."
so true! obama fever really is making new yorkers friendly.
Post a Comment