She ran out of the blue colored one once she put it on the inside of my shin, and wanted to put a smaller piece on the tendon that was swollen before just to get some "lymph flowing" is what she called it. So there, I now have blue and pink magic tape, and I actually like that combination, bright colors do put me in a better mood.
So after doing my fun new stretches I was ready to go. Today was the first time I tried out my cool new running tights too. I bought them a while ago for winter running, but haven't been able to run since and it had been warm outside too until this week. These tights are supposed to have compression bands that support different muscle groups. Other than that I think they look really cool, and make me look like a real runner. There is even scientific data supporting that they work: http://www.teamrunningfree.com/blog/2007/10/19/the-benefits-of-compression/

In any case, I put them on and felt like a superhero, except that the pink tape was visible under the bottom of the tights. Oh well. I am trying to do a few things differently now that I am getting back into running, hopefully this way avoiding the injury to come back or new ones from appearing. First of all I bought new shoes and arch supports which are really comfortable. The running analysis I did with my PT showed that I leaned back too much and didn't carry my right leg through after my stride. I need to get my upper legs stronger - that's the only part of me that's strong from fencing, so it makes no sense to me - so I will be putting less stress on my lower legs. I noticed that if I try to flex my quads and upper leg muscles when I walk, the pain around my shin goes away, voila! Doing this while walking or running takes quite a bit of concentration, and it's been difficult for me as I have been having trouble focusing on anything for more than a few minutes lately.
So this morning I put on gloves and a scarf and walked to Central Park. It was pretty chilly outside but amazingly bright like it only gets here in the fall. I really love the weather in New York around this time of year. Out of all the places I have lived before, it is only here that we have amazing bright and crisp autumn and winter days. Both in Budapest and in Chicago, most of the winter used to be gray and cloudy. I really missed Central Park! I used to go almost every day in the spring and summer, both to run and just to hang out. Since it's been so warm until now, the leaves are just now really turning yellow and falling. There are still amazing colors everywhere and lots of people with their kids and dogs and running and biking. I guess today is a holiday - not where I work - and the park drives were closed and there were tons of people out, the park was vibrant. I ran a little more than a full lap around the Reservoir and felt great. Running is my high and endorphins my cocaine! I could have gone on but I stopped myself, trying to be more careful this time around.
Lots of people were wearing their NYC Marathon gear from last weekend and it made me think of running in it. I am hopeful that if not in Miami, next year in NYC, I will run in the marathon and finish it!
3 comments:
so glad you got a chance to try out your new pants and have a nice run outside!
jaj imádtam ezeket a kék meg rózsaszín szalagokat:) Cipruson én is ilyeneket kaptam amikor bekrepáltak a virgácsaim. meglesz az a miami maraton!
Nagyon öröm volt olvasni a jó híreket.
Post a Comment