My friend, labmate and fellow grad student (no longer as of yesterday) defended her thesis and is now Dr. Erin Kelly!! Congratulations! She did awesome and enjoyed her much much deserved champagne at the after-party.
At the celebratory dinner - amazing Tapas place in the West Village, where you can order every item on the menu for a small fortune of $400, but truly, the food was great although there were so many dishes that I can barely remember anything I ate - I had this big candle right in front of me on the table and spent a significant amount of time trying to take artsy looking pictures. Trying to show off the new ring I got over the weekend on this one.
Playing ping pong at The Fat Cat. So much fun! As I mentioned in my last post, why be so serious? We should play games more often, be silly and dance with the racket in our hand and take funny artsy pictures with someone else's hijacked camera.
I got into a reflective mood after getting home - instead of much needed sleep, I was sitting on my windowsill looking at the view. It's something I see every day, but rarely appreciate. Truly beautiful, in a very urban and disorganized kind of way. Like Milan Kundera writes in The unbearable Lightness of Being, "The beauty of New York rests on a completely different base. It's unintentional. It arose independent of human design, like a stalagmitic cavern. Forms which are quite ugly turn up fortuitously, without design, in such incredible surroundings that they sparkle with a sudden wondrous poetry."
No comments:
Post a Comment