I used to be a much more confrontational person. I told people exactly what I thought and how I felt, and I thought that made me an honest person. It took me some time to realize that it just made me unkind and ruined some relationships. It took some effort to become more aware of the things I wanted to say to people and to be able to filter those things. I have by now possibly crossed over to the other side where I am almost unable to confront people. When something bothers me, it just swells inside, I dwell on it, but try to avoid bringing it up, and it eventually turns into a kind of knot in me, and I get incredibly stressed out about it. When I finally get to a point where I can't hold back anymore, I usually still try to avoid face to face confrontation, and turn to our generation's favorite mode of communication, email. As soon as I hit to "Send" button, I feel guilty. Even if I think I was in the right.
Feeling guilty has absolutely no point. What has already occurred can't be undone. We just have to stop dwelling on the past and look into the immediate future and try to do things a little better the next time. Try to be a little more mature and maybe force ourselves to communicate like human beings are supposed to. And remember that we can't always agree on everything, but that's what makes life so interesting, and having an argument face to face is not the end of the world.
1 comment:
one good thing about face to face is that people cant mis-interpret your tone to be meaner, angrier, or more condescending than it is meant to be. something that is not true of email. i learned that the hard way!
Post a Comment